Thursday, 30 January 2014

Sightseeing Tour (29/01/14) by Adam Widdrington

After following up my initial half-marathon with a further Friday night five miler around the Town Moor, my 500 mile challenge was chugging along nicely. Until disaster struck. A mixture of a virus, January lethargy, and running 19 miles already this year, my body shut down. For two weeks.

As I checked on the other runners’ tallies, I realised I was getting left behind, quite literally. I sensed another impending act of lunacy on the horizon… After discussing how far I could run at work with fellow 5000er Micky Carrick, we reasoned that a three or four miler would be a decent distance to ‘blow the cobwebs off’ and get back into the running swing.

Then something happened...again. My route took me past some glorious landmarks:

Town Moor
Central Motorway
Newcastle University
Haymarket
Gallowgate Flame
The Gate
Nudo
Richer Sounds
Clayton St. Chippy
Centre for Life
The Pink Triangle
Redheugh Bridge
The Central Bar
Tyne Bridge
Flares
Subway
Central Station
St James’ Park
RVI
Exhibition Park
Town Moor again
Gosforth High Street


2 hours and 20 odd minutes later I was home. I wanted to post another jaw-dropping half marathon to put a proverbial Partridge amongst the pigeons, but that was a stretch too far. 11.5 miles got my year total above 30 miles, which psychologically was massive for me (although Jonny Lowes’ mammoth effort of around 80 miles so far is really demoralising for the rest of us).

See the full run at Map My Run

1 comment: