Sunday, 16 February 2014

January by Jonny Lowes (15/02/14)

5000miles. January can be summarised as follows:

January the first month and a month of many firsts:

A first - A successful DryJanuary (at about the 6th time of asking)
A first - A (not so successful) 31 day plank challenge
A first – Half Marathon of 2014.
A first - My own challenge 12 half-marathons in 12 months (see deranged reasoning below)
A first - Of course some daft 5000mile run that we find ourselves on.

Like a few of the lads January for me was slow to start. My first run being the Newcastle Parkrun on the 04th Jan. I had earlier in December run a new 5km PB (21:19) at this venue but in between Christmas and New Year, during a club interval session I aggravated an injury that I had been “managing” since last May.

The session that broke me:
Venue, OneNorthEast Business Park, Newburn.
Weather, cold and dry but windy.
Session, 6x 3mins with 1 min recovery at about 06:00min/mile pace
It wasn’t a bad injury, just a “little pull” but I stopped immediately on feeling it to avoid it getting worse.
On reflection, what lesson can I take from this? Probably the cause being an inadequate warm-up, then pushing too hard too soon.

Experience had taught me this would mean a week off running and a tentative return the following week. The plan was decided; I would jog round the Town Moor Parkrun course with my girlfriend . We got round without any further complications in 26:01.

With the Brass Monkey Half Marathon at York Racecourse coming up on the 19th Jan, I knew I had a few weeks to get some quality miles in and a few hard Harrier sessions. My training log shows I managed to get in 08 sessions totalling just over 50 miles. This involved a memorable 14 miler, where I was joined during the 2nd half by Micky, Mart and Robbo. The last few sessions were with team Elswick, taking it easier (about 70% effort) to make sure I didn’t pull anything and to recruit some fast-twitch fibre muscles before the race (its science I don’t understand, so don’t ask!).

The Brass Monkey was to be my second Half Marathon. The first being 4 months earlier at the big daddy of all Half Marathons; the Great North Run. To be honest, I was pretty gutted with my time, it was 7mins slower than the most conservative race time predictor, based on my 10km time. On reflection this shouldn’t have been a surprise, my 10km time was a bit slower than predicted based on my 5km best. It would appear 5km is my best distance, generally I finish in the top 20% of the field at 5km, at half marathon distance I’ve very much at the middle of the pack.

Despite the disappointment, I had nothing left to give at the end of the GNR, but I knew I could run 13.1 miles quicker. My reaction was to meet the challenge head-on. I think these things are all about experience so I set myself a testing but achievable goal. I decided I was going to run 12 half-marathons in 2014. Knowing this would work well with our 5000mile challenge, I figured on 40 miles a week I should have completed the challenge by the end of April.

So I travelled to York with my girlfriend staying over with relatives to cut down driving time on race day for the Brass Monkey Half Marathon 2014.

Race report to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment